Consultant Oculoplastic, Lacrimal, Orbital and Cataract Surgeon, Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh
St John Ophthalmic Association Chair for Scotland
Royal College of Ophthalmologists (Fellow)
British Oculoplastic Surgery Society (Full Member)
St John Ophthalmic Association (Chair for Scotland)
Scottish Oculoplastic Group
Scottish Ophthalmological Club
• Eyelid and periocular surgery (structural, functional, and aesthetic)
• Blepharoplasty (upper/lower)
• Suture less small incision cataract surgery (including complex cases)
• Botulinum toxin (‘Botox’) injections around the eyes and face
• YAG laser capsulotomy
• Tear duct surgery
• Eyelid skin cancer treatment and reconstruction
• Eyelid cysts including chalazions
• Orbital surgery (eye socket)
Robert is a consultant ophthalmologist specialising in oculoplastic, lacrimal, cataract and orbital surgery. He under took two advanced clinical fellowships at Addenbrooke’s Hospital, Cambridge and Moorfields Eye Hospital, London, and gained surgical periocular aesthetic experience at Moorfields Private and 152 Harley Street.
Robert provides bespoke structural, functional and aesthetic surgery around the eyes, brow and mid-face, working with his patients to deliver a natural looking cosmetic result. His extensive training as an eye surgeon specifically allows him to evaluate the health of the eyes and surrounding structures, and therefore anticipate potential challenges and incorporate these into surgical planning.
Robert performs cataract surgery with excellent outcomes and a very low complication rate. An audit of his cataract surgery over the preceding 5 years in February 2020 showed the following outcomes: vision (best corrected) 6/6 (“20-20”) or better in 87.9% of patients without other eye diseases (UK average 50.7%); 6/9 or better in 100% of patients (UK average 76.2%) and 6/12 (driving standard) or better in 100% of patients (UK average 96.2%), and his complication rate for capsular rupture, which is widely considered to be a primary indicator of surgical quality, was 0.4% (UK average 1.1%).
Oxford University –
· Physiological sciences specialising in neuroscience (93% in neuroscience First Public Examination)
University of London
· Graduate entry medicine (98th centile in Medical Schools Admissions Test, distinctions in ophthalmology and orthopaedics)
Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion, Edinburgh
· Comprehensive training across the full spectrum of clinical and surgical ophthalmology, specialising in oculoplastic and cataract surgery
· Ranked 2nd in the UK in the final FRCOphth exit examination
Cambridge University Hospitals (Addenbrooke’s)
· Senior Clinical Fellowship providing advanced training in oculoplastic, lacrimal and orbital surgery
Moorfields Eye Hospital, London
· Advanced surgical fellowship at the largest and oldest centre for ophthalmic treatment in Europe
· Extensive clinical and surgical experience in the diagnosis and management of diseases of the eyelids, eye sockets, tear ducts and mid-face
· Botulinum toxin injections to the lids, face and neck
· Surgical periocular aesthetic training at Moorfields Private and 152 Harley Street
Robert is an assessor and clinical supervisor for the Royal College of Ophthalmologists, and provides post-graduate clinical and surgical training to registrars and fellows.
Robert has taught for Cambridge, Edinburgh, London (UCL and Bart's), St Andrews and Dundee Universities. He has also taught on the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh’s Master of Science in Primary Care Ophthalmology degree programme, as well as on numerous clinical and surgical courses.
Robert is a Good Clinical Practice-certified researcher and has published in leading journals as well as presenting his work internationally. He is a reviewer for the International Journal of Surgery and the Journal of International Medical Research.
Outside of medicine Robert's interests include skiing, rock climbing and enjoying the great outdoors.