Qualifications: MBChB Hons, FRCOphth, FRCSEd, FEBO, AFHEA
Personal website: www.drtatham.com
Consulting times: Alternate Monday evenings, Tuesday afternoons. Other may be available on request.
Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon, Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion Edinburgh
NHS Scotland Career Research Fellow
Honorary Senior Clinical Lecturer, University of Edinburgh
Dr Tatham is a consultant ophthalmic surgeon at Princess Alexandra Eye Pavilion and a specialist in cataract and glaucoma surgery. He has 15 years experience in ophthalmology and was trained at two of the world’s leading eye hospitals – Moorfields Eye Hospital, London and Shiley Eye Institute, University of California San Diego, USA. He was ranked first in Europe in the 2011 European Board of Ophthalmology examination and has received research awards from Royal College of Ophthalmologists, UK and Eire Glaucoma Society. In 2015 he was the only UK ophthalmologist to receive an innovative research award from the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO). In 2016 he co-authored the glaucoma chapter of “Training in Ophthalmology” from Oxford University Press with Professor Sir Peng Khaw.
Dr Tatham is experienced in cataract and glaucoma surgery. He can tailor surgery to your needs and offers toric and multifocal intraocular lenses, which can reduce the need for spectacles following surgery. He continuously audits his results, with outcomes better than national benchmarks.
Dr Tatham has a particular interest in minimally invasive glaucoma surgery, otherwise known as MIGS (Xen, iStent), and was the first to introduce these procedures in Scotland. MIGS, which is similar to keyhole surgery, is safer and has a quicker recovery time than conventional glaucoma surgery. Dr Tatham also performs laser, trabeculectomy and glaucoma drainage device surgery, performing more than 150 glaucoma procedures per year.
• Small incision cataract surgery
• Premium lens technology (multifocal, toric, extended-range of vision)
• Minimally invasive glaucoma surgery (Xen, iStent)
• Glaucoma laser surgery (SLT, PI)
• Glaucoma surgery (trabeculectomy, Ahmed and Baerveldt tubes)
Professional body memberships
• Royal College of Surgeons Edinburgh
• Royal College of Ophthalmologists
• European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
• European Board of Ophthalmology
• European Glaucoma Society
• American Glaucoma Society
• Royal College of Ophthalmologists Foulds’ Trophy 2015
• ARVO Innovative Research Award 2015
• Bayer Educational Grant Award 2015
• Chinese Ophthalmological Society Best Paper Award (2nd author) 2014
• Scottish Ophthalmological Club Best Paper Award 2014
• UK and Eire Glaucoma Society Best Paper Award 2013
• Invited Member, World Glaucoma Association Consensus Meeting, 2016.
• Module Lead, University of Edinburgh Primary Care Ophthalmology MSc.
• OCT Course Director, European Glaucoma Society Meeting, Prague 2016.
• Invited faculty member at World and European Glaucoma Societies, and Chinese Ophthalmological Society
• Steward for “EyeCare”- Edinburgh and Lothians’ eye care charity.
• Peer reviewer for journals including Ophthalmology, British Journal of Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalmology and PLOS One.
• Examiner, European Board of Ophthalmologists.
• Preventing glaucoma blindness through early diagnosis, and personalized treatment
• “Drop free” treatment of glaucoma (slow release implants, minimally invasive glaucoma surgery)
• Driving simulation and quality of life
Dr Tatham has authored almost 60 peer-reviewed publications (> 250 citations).
The full list is available at https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Andrew_Tatham
Selected recent publications
Recent Invited Lectures